Roger Federer is set to play Kei Nishikori for what is expected to be one of the most entertaining matches of the Australian Open.
How to Watch:
As most tennis fans know, this is one of the most anticipated matches of the whole Australian Open so far! That being said, it can be found on various networks like WatchESPN, Tennis Channel, The Australian Open Website, and other tennis streaming websites. Fortunately, the match is set to be played at 6:00 PM CT., which is quite convenient compared to previous times.
Federer and Nishikori have gone head-to-head a total of 6 times. Although it isn’t by much, Federer currently leads the record 4-2. Out of all the times they have played, Saturday will be the first time they will verse each other in a grand slam. Nishikori has lost the past 3 of his meetings with Federer, and hasn’t managed to defeat him since 2014.
Strengths and Weaknesses:
- Has confidence from defeating Nishikori previous 3 meetings.
- Has nothing to lose because this tournament is his come back from injury.
- His forehand placement has been quite spectacular lately.
- Has momentum from obliterating Tomas Berdych.
- He is 8 years older than Nishikori, so his physical shape isn’t as good.
- Known to have issues with long matches.
- His 1-handed backhand is vulnerable to some players.
- He is a quicker and younger player than Federer.
- Has a solid backhand.
- Is known to be a mentally composed player.
- Might lack confidence because of 3 consecutive losses to Federer.
- Can have inconsistency problems.
- Is known to be an injury magnet.
Match Prediction: Federer def. Nishikori 6-4, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
I predict that Federer will manage to pull out a win against Nishikori. Although they have never gone head-to-head in a Grand Slam, Roger Federer is known to play better in major tournaments. Also, Federer currently has a train of momentum because of his exceptional play in previous matches.
What do you think?